This facsimile of one of the indentures which sets out the initial funding and management arrangements for running of The Hospital of Holy Cross is located on one of the walls of the Octapus centre.

 

This article contains a selection of photos dating from the early 1900's and obtained from various sources.

 

The Founders of the Hospital were Richard Henry Wood and his wife Elizabeth Wood (nee Hatton).

 

Born in May 1861, Mrs. Mary Venetia James, née Cavendish-Bentinck, was the daughter of the Rt Hon George Cavendish-Bentinck and great granddaughter of the third Duke of Portland, who was viceroy of Ireland. She was also Godmother to Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother).